2009年8月27日 星期四

廣州一街


Near the end of March, 1845, I borrowed an axe and went down to the woods by Walden Pond, nearest to where I intended to build my house, and began to cut down some tall, arrowy white pines, still in their youth, for timber. It is difficult to begin without borrowing, but perhaps it is the most generous course thus to permit your fellow-men to have an interest in your enterprise. The owner of the axe, as he released his hold on it, said that it was the apple of his eye; but I returned it sharper than I received it. It was a pleasant hillside where I worked, covered with pine woods, through which I looked out on the pond, and a small open field in the woods where pines and hickories were springing up. The ice in the pond was not yet dissolved, though there were some open spaces, and it was all dark-colored and saturated with water. There were some slight flurries of snow during the days that I worked there; but for the most part when I came out on to the railroad, on my way home, its yellow sand heap stretched away gleaming in the hazy atmosphere, and the rails shone in the spring sun, and I heard the lark and pewee and other birds already come to commence another year with us. They were pleasant spring days, in which the winter of man's discontent was thawing as well as the earth, and the life that had lain torpid began to stretch itself. One day, when my axe had come off and I had cut a green hickory for a wedge, driving it with a stone, and had placed the whole to soak in a pond-hole in order to swell the wood, I saw a striped snake run into the water, and he lay on the bottom, apparently without inconvenience, as long as I stayed there, or more than a quarter of an hour; perhaps because he had not yet fairly come out of the torpid state. It appeared to me that for a like reason men remain in their present low and primitive condition; but if they should feel the influence of the spring of springs arousing them, they would of necessity rise to a higher and more ethereal life. I had previously seen the snakes in frosty mornings in my path with portions of their bodies still numb and inflexible, waiting for the sun to thaw them. On the 1st of April it rained and melted the ice, and in the early part of the day, which was very foggy, I heard a stray goose groping about over the pond and cackling as if lost, or like the spirit of the fog.

So I went on for some days cutting and hewing timber, and also studs and rafters, all with my narrow axe, not having many communicable or scholar-like thoughts, singing to myself, —

Men say they know many things;
But lo! they have taken wings —
The arts and sciences,
And a thousand appliances;
The wind that blows
Is all that any body knows.

2008年二月中旬,我決定在這裡住下來。原本想要學梭羅跑到森林裡住一陣子,過自給自足的生活;自在地過生活,讓自己不要在死前發現自己沒有真正活過。後來覺得住在離父母親家不遠的市區反而更省錢,衣服可以丟到洗衣機去洗,晚餐可以回家吃。若是需要什麼生活用品,也可以順手牽羊而不必擔心被抓去警察局。並非每個人都像我一樣佔盡所有便宜,但如果梭羅能在那種環境下生活,相信其他人也應該為自己想到辦法,更何況我也並不是一點問題都沒有。

之後,我為自己買了一台桌上型電腦(HP Pavilion g3220tl). 2009年五月,自行下載 Solaris作業系統並安裝完成,但是安裝程式找不到網路卡的驅動程式,不能上網。6月9日,終於在 Free NIC drivers for Solaris 找到驅動程式。10日安裝完成,11日設定ADSL撥接上網。我將安裝結果上傳至昇陽公司(Sun Microsystems, Inc.),他們也給我回了信,內容如下:

Record ID: 33523
Submitter Name: Onkell Wang
Type: System - Desktop System
Manufacturer: HP
Model: Pavilion g3220tl

Hello Onkell Wang,

Your HCL submission has been approved.

This item is expected to be published on the sun HCL next week.

Thank you for your submission and for contributing to the BigAdmin site.

Sincerely,
Sarah Yang

HCL Auditing Team
Sun Microsystems, Inc.


30年前,在這附近還沒有這麼多房子時,文化中心也是一大片空地;國小老師會帶我們去那裡焢土窯。下課後,小孩子會一起在庭仔腳玩橡皮筋,把十條打個結,放在一條線上,用橡皮筋將它射出一個距離外;橡皮筋是色彩鮮豔而透明的活筋而不是死筋。或者捌牌仔,每個參賽者出幾張疊成一榻,將這榻圓牌中的一張用牌仔打出來算贏。捌牌仔的人要小心,要確定自己這一摔就能把標的打出來且完全和其他牌仔分離,否則就會作牌給別人。用來捌的那一張要養的厚,打起來才會有力;有時候會凹一小折來捌。還有巷仔底有一塊小泥土地,可以挖五個洞玩天國窟彈珠遊戲。現在那塊泥土地已變成水泥地了,巷子也不像現在有一堆汽機車停放著,可以玩稻草人跳格子遊戲,小孩子多時就玩踢銅罐仔,忍者哈特利真人電影裡有作到這個。下雨天可以作土丸子。好像是挖一些灰色的黏土,揉成球狀,外頭再覆上泥土,然後埋起來。過一陣子挖出來後慢慢將表皮抹去,可以看到亮亮的一層。


無論我的想像力有多豐富,都很難把住處想像成一個適合旅行的神仙歇腳的地方。雖然決意在這裡住下來,還是希望有朝一日能在山上找個地方,那裡有清晨的風吹出天籟,可以不斷創造天上才有的詩歌。




2 則留言:

  1. 五年後,我無意間把 Solaris 刪了,現在改裝 Debian,整部電腦還是跟新的一樣。

    回覆刪除
  2. 梭羅此段文字用到 the apple of his eye;寫這篇時尚未讀“那些年”,所以對這段文字印象不深。

    回覆刪除